Patelco Fraud Center
Learn how to avoid the latest scams, keep your accounts safe, and get help from Patelco.
Is it a scam?
Contact us first before you give away personal information or money – we’ll help you figure out if it's a scam.Call Us
Watch out for these top scams
It's easy to get fooled by fraudsters and you might be surprised by the sly scams on the rise.Read About Scams
Did Patelco reach out to you?
Scammers may be impersonating Patelco. Here’s how to verify if it was Patelco contacting you.Was it Patelco?
How to report fraud to Patelco
Know the red flags
Fraudsters can tap into your emotions or try catch you off guard.
Here are 5 red flags to watch out for based on Patelco's fraud monitoring.
If you answer “yes” to any of these, you may be the target of a scam. Don't click on any links or share any information with the person contacting you.
If you've lost money to a scam, contact us as soon as possible to see if we can place protection on your account and try to recover funds.
Want to learn even more about common red flags and protecting yourself from fraud? Download Patelco’s fraud booklet here.
1. Were you asked to hide information from or lie to Patelco or your other financial institution(s)?
2. Were you asked for your login credentials to Online Banking or another account?
3. Were you contacted by someone out of the blue and pressured to wire them money?
4. Does this transaction involve a foreign country, territory, or state where you don’t have contacts or connections?
5. Were you “overpaid” or “over reimbursed” for something and are now being asked to send the “extra” money back?
Fraud happened. Now what?
Fraudulent debit or credit card activity
File a claim immediately using our online claims center by logging into Patelco Online™. See other details here.
I called Patelco – what else can I do?
It's important to act quickly and to report it to the authorities. Read our tips for how to be proactive.
Suspicious account activity that's not yours
We're here to guide and support you if you notice account activity that’s not yours. Contact us immediately.
Identity theft happened
Here's what you can do to act fast and recover if you've been a victim of identity theft.
More warning signs of scams
Always stay vigilant when it comes to scams, whether it's a person or a business you're dealing with over the phone, mail, email, in-person, or on social media – especially if you didn't reach out to them first.
Be on alert if you encounter:
- An unusual payment request
- A request for your personal information
- Requests to cash checks for someone or transfer money for them
- A request for money from someone you've never met
- Something that simply looks too good to be true
- An unusual or out-of-character message from friends or family
- A request to communicate outside the platform or channel where you made contact
Frequently asked questions about fraud
We’re here to help you figure out if it’s a scam before you give out any personal information or transfer money. Call us at 800.358.8228 and enter extension 5323 to talk with a specialist or schedule an appointment with our Virtual BranchTM.
Learn More About Fraud
October 27, 2021
Don’t be fooled by a scammer. Look for these warning signs to identify a possible scam and protect yourself!
February 10, 2023
It's easy to become a victim of fraud as a college or graduate student. Find out about the top student scams and how to avoid them.
October 27, 2021
What is identity theft and why is it important to protect yourself? Find out how to prevent identity theft from the experts at Patelco.
- Keep your account information up to date so we can contact you quickly if we see suspicious activity on your account
- Sign up for Patelco Online™ or the Mobile App to view account activity
- Set up Two-Factor Authentication for added security each time you log in
- Manage account alerts, card alerts and transaction controls
- Choose SMS (or text message) as your primary alert and notification channel for timely information
More fraud resource and prevention tips
Want to learn more about fraud and how to protect yourself from the most recent scams?
Discover the additional resources that Patelco has put together for its members.
1 2021 FBI Elder Fraud Report