How do I become a member?
At Patelco, we want you to meet your financial goals. There's no fee to join and your membership includes a savings account with $1 deposited to get you started. If you have any questions, our dedicated new membership team is ready at 800.358.8228 x1212 weekdays 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm (PT).
To join us, you'll need:
- Social Security number (or other acceptable government-issued document showing your Tax Identification Number)
- Driver’s license or government ID
- Current home address
- Credit card or external bank account to fund your new account (only for accounts opened online)
We’re with you every step of the way. Our dedicated team is inspired by the belief that we can and do make a difference in people’s lives every day. It’s why everything we do is designed to improve the financial well-being of our members. And it’s why you’ll find significantly better rates, lower fees and best-in class products.
We are proud to offer Patelco membership to so many people. Our inclusive approach means you only need to meet one of the following criteria to join us.
Live, work, attend school or worship in one of these eligible locations:
Be enrolled or an alumni of these universities:
- University of California Berkeley
- San Francisco State University
- California State University East Bay
Be employed by a Patelco sponsor company
We serve over 1,100 member companies or associations. Search below to find yours.
Patelco Sponsor Companies
- Have a family member or roommate who is a current Patelco member
- Be the surviving spouse or child of a deceased employee-eligible member
Become a member of the Financial Fitness Association
When you become a member of the Financial Fitness Association (FFA), we'll pay for your membership for the first year. FFA is a non-profit that improves people’s well-being with financial knowledge and tools. Call our dedicated new membership team at 800.358.8228 x1212 weekdays 8am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm, or visit a branch to take advantage of this.1
Get even more from membership as a Commitment Household member
Just meet one of these options2:
Option 1. Maintain one:
- A first or second mortgage balance or
- A HELOC that is open and active within the past 12 months
Option 2. Maintain all:
- An active Checking or Credit Card account
- An average daily balance of $3,000 in a Savings account or combined Savings accounts.
- An active loan. Eligible loans: Auto or Mortgage loan (within the last two years), an unsecured loan or credit card (with activity in the past 12 months)
Option 3. Maintain:
- A $50,000 or more monthly balance in or across Savings accounts. Eligible accounts: Tiered Savings, Checking, or Money Market
Enjoy extra benefits with a Commitment Household Membership
Go fee-free, and more!
The convenience of:
- No fees at non-Patelco ATM’s
No fee and no minimum balances for:
- Interest Checking
- Health Savings Accounts
- Cashier's Checks
- Domestic wire transfers
And, you’ll also get:
- A .10% new consumer loan discount3
- Access to limited-time special offers
1 Patelco will pay for your initial FFA membership fee, giving you a whole year of access to their podcasts, articles and resources. After the first year, renewal of the FFA membership is your responsibility and is not required to maintain your Patelco membership.
2 Qualifications for Commitment Household status must be met on a continuous basis. If it appears you must take steps to retain your status, you will be alerted via messages on your monthly statement and inside Online Banking. You will have a grace period to bring your household to Commitment level before you are removed from the program. Patelco will periodically evaluate all members' financial relationships to ensure that they are consistently meeting the requirements.
3 Discount does not include credit cards and home loans.