What is a Health Savings Account (HSA) ?
An HSA is for individuals and families with High Deductible Health Plans. It is an IRA-like account that allows you to save for present and future health expenses. All account balances are interest-paying and federal tax-deductible.
- 0.05% to 0.15% APY2
- 0.05% monthly interest on balances $0–$2,000
- 0.10% monthly interest on balances $2,000.01–$3,500
- 0.25% monthly interest on balances over $3,500.01
Wondering how much you could save with an HSA? Use our calculator below to find out.
Contributions are made into the account by the individual or their employer and are limited to a maximum amount each year. The contributions are invested over time and can be used for qualified medical expenses, such as medical, dental, and vision care, as well as prescription drugs. Qualified withdrawals are tax and penalty free at any time regardless of age or length the account has been open, and if used for qualified health care expenses. Contributions are limited and will be reported to the IRS.
An HSA provides easy options for contributions and withdrawals:
- Fast and convenient access through HSA debit cards and HSA checks. Also available through a check withdrawal at any Patelco branch
- Anyone can contribute to your HSA on your behalf, including employers and family
- No minimum to open and no fee the first year3
- IRA holders are permitted to make a one-time transfer to their HSAs